Campus News

Commencement Spring 2017

Name
SUNY Korea Press
Date
2017-06-29 01:20
View

SUNY Korea held its 2017 Spring Commencement on June 19. About a hundred guests, including Dr. Michael Berstein, Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs of Stony Brook, Dr.Jun Liu, Vice Provost for Global Affairs and Dean of International Academic Programs and Services of Stony Brook, Dr. Imin Kao, Associate Vice President, Economic Development,  and Joyce Msuya, World Bank Group's special representative from the Korea Office, attended the event. There was a total of 18 students receiving their bachelor's degrees and 4 students receiving their master's. 

Dr. Michael Bernstein, Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs of Stony Brook, encouraged students in a congratulatory speech saying, “SUNY Korea could become a distinct university in the world through continuous support from the Korean government.” He also added, “Stony Brook’s excellent education will be the base for the students to achieve their dreams.”

The president of SUNY Korea, Dr. ChoonHo Kim, pointed out that “SUNY Korea’s success is based on how the graduates positively impacted society and how they served other people." He added, “ I expect our students to solve various problems of modern society, and become a person who shines their light on the world.”

The valedictorian, Charis, from Ghana, spoke out in his speech, "I deeply appreciate what the school did for me, SUNY Korea has enabled me to think big and supported me to achieve my dreams during my undergraduate years. I hope to see all the students who graduate today, continuously challenge their dream."

Especially, the spring 2017 graduates held a "Seniors' week", following in the steps of the first cohort, to help make an alumni association and contribute to the alumni scholarship fund. They donated a million won to the fund, and this tradition is set to continue in the coming years as well.